Followers

Monday, June 24, 2013

Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge #9

I am having a ball with the sketches from Atlantic Hearts.  If you like sketches, head on over to the challenge site and try your hand at this week's sketch.  It lived up to it's name - challenge.  I stared at the sketch for awhile and decided to try my luck with creating my own background following the design on the sketch.  It took me almost a whole day, because I am lousy at math and figuring out the relative sizes for the squares/rectangles.  However, I am I really pleased with the outcome and think it was worth the effort.


 
I started with a 5x7 card base and cut a black piece 4 3/4 x 6 3/4.  I decided I wanted about 1/4" between the pieces.  Using scraps, I cute and laid the pieces where I wanted them.  My next step was choosing what paper to use.  I looked through the bin of paper that I was given for helping in a pinch at the local scrapbook store and found the blue paper which is banana leaf.  It's very fibrous so I didn't want to cut it with my Cameo.  I was afraid it would gum up the blade too much.  It didn't cut well with the trimmer because of its thickness.  So, I made the initial cut with the trimmer and then made a clean cut with a scissors.  After I got all the pieces adhered (I used my Xyron X and the 2.5), I searched for something to use for the sentiment box.  I decided to use some American Craft gold foil cardstock and cut it with the Cameo.  The sentiment is a peel off sticker from Elizabeth Craft Designs.  It looks quite simple for all the work that went into it, but I really like the way it looks in real life.
 
Challenges entered:
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Lovely card Margaret. Well worth all the effort at working it out.

    Thank you for joining us over at the Lacy Sunshine Challenge. Good luck.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely. I like the look of the texture of the blue. I found this sketch a little intimidating, so I used a pieces of graph paper to help me. It made a big difference when it came cutting time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never used banana leaf paper, it looks very thick in the picture and I am sure it looks even better in person. Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card, the sketch does look simple, but it was a time consuming card to create.....great job!

    ReplyDelete